Built in 1857 Ballinderreen N.S. is one of the oldest schools in Ireland. With ever expanding pupil numbers the project brief was to facilitate a new classroom extension & provide storage areas. While in keeping with the existing buildings, our Architects designed a modest but innovative response to the accommodation required, including a classroom and ancillary/support areas within the set guidelines from the Department of Education. This new dynamic extension incorporates high levels of natural lighting, paramount to the enhancement of educational learning. The extension and the original school house now sit harmoniously together, responding well to the vernacular rural setting within its community.